SIGGRAPH 2014 News: Autodesk Educators Breakfast: Panel Discussion
Autodesk's Educators Breakfast today at SIGGRAPH 2014 included a panel discussion by reps from Method Studios and the Vancouver Film School that focused on interviewing strategies and getting that edge in the market place. Featured panelists included:
- Marc Weigert (President, Method Studios)
- Jeff Weiner (Digital Studio Manager, Method Studios)
- Vanessa Jacobsen (Interim Department Head for Animation and Visual Effects, VFS)
- Colin Giles (Senior Animation Instructor, (VFS)
Interviews and Resumes
Portfolios and Show Reels
- Jeff: "Mostly it depends on their passion. You're here, here's the platform. Where do you want to go?"
- Marc: "We have a wiki that explains how you work with our tools. The more they can look through that themselves and be self-motivated, the better. That helps because it requires less time for others to train them."
- Vanessa: Technology is great, but often when students see it break down they say, 'What's wrong? It doesn't work!' You have to trouble shoot and get past these problems because technology breaks down all of the time."
- Colin: "There's a lot of fear in students that every problem is a big one. But the key is that you have to try and solve it. The more you do that, the better you'll become at trouble shooting.