Build a Real-time Log Dashboard with Node and Express
What you'll learn
Build a simple, real-time log dashboard web application using Node, Express, and WebSockets. By building this application, you will gain experience using Node’s file system API for reading and writing files, WebSockets for real-time file updates, and Express for generating web pages.
Table of contents
- Set up your local environment for this project. We'll walk you through everything you need to know, including how to install and configure your environment to be able to complete all of the tasks.
- Configure the WebSockets server.
- Add a WebSocket-based log viewer window.
- Using a hard coded file path for the generated log file, display the log file in the log viewer window.
- Implement the file browser feature in order to select a log file dynamically.
- Implement the settings feature and add support for a log filter and default directory.