Implementing OAuth with Node.js
What you'll learn
In this project, you'll be using Node.js to build a complete OAuth solution. From the client application, to the OAuth server itself, you’ll build everything you need to allow external clients to
- authorize themselves to the system and
- securely access resources using your authorization server
Table of contents
- Set up your local environment for this project. We'll walk you through everything you need to know, including how to install and configure your environment to be able to complete all of the tasks.
- This module will have you build the routes for the authorization server. We will create server routes to authorize the user, approve a given client, and issue the authorization token to a client.
- We will build a server route on the protected resource that allows authorized clients to access selected information about the user based on the provided scope present in the authorization token.
- In this module, we will build the client application, that is responsible for communicating with the authorization server and protected resource. The client application is responsible for having the user authorizing the application and granting access to their information.
OAuth is a security standard that expands on the traditional direct authentication (username/password) model. OAuth opens the door for users to access apps and apps to access data without the direct use of a password.
This project is great for Node.js developers who need to learn the fundamentals of how OAuth works so the principles can be applied in broader applications.
In this beginner-level project, you will go through the process of building routes for the authorization server, building the protected resource that only authorized users can access, and building the client application through which users can authorize.
This project is ideal for Node.js beginners.