#CloudGuruChallenge: Your resume in Azure
Build up your Azure and multi-cloud skills and get a LinkedIn endorsement from ACG with this month's #CloudGuruChallenge: to create an Azure-hosted resume.
Jun 08, 2023 • 5 Minute Read
|Challenge Topic||Your resume in Azure!|
|Challenge Creator||Gwyneth Pena-Siguenza|
|Challenge Goal||Create a 100% Azure-hosted version of your resume.|
|Challenge Outcome||Build skills with Azure (and possibly multi-cloud if you've done this challenge previously with another cloud).|
|Challenge Deadline||May 31, 2021|
Back by popular demand (and by popular demand I mean because I really wanted to do this) is the Cloud Resume Challenge. Except this time around, I’d like to see some Azure submissions.
- Create a GitHub repository for your project
- Inside of your GitHub repo, create your website:
- Add a visitors counter to your website:
- Your code will need to interact with a database via an API.
- For the database, check out Azure ComosDB. You can use their serverless pricing model to keep your costs really low. Azure Functions and CosmoDB integrate via bindings You’ll need to use them for this project.
- Deploy the website to Azure Blob storage
- Enable HTTPS and custom domain support:
- Point your custom domain to your static website and make sure HTTPS is enabled. You can do this with Azure CDN.
- Set up GitHub actions:
- Write your blog post:
- If you don’t already have a developer blog, you can set one up on Hashnode.
- The goal for the blog post is for you to document your solution. Here are some things I’d recommend including:
- Why did you take on the challenge?
- How did you complete the challenge? Include screenshots, diagrams, code snippets, links, and anything you’d like.
- What was the hardest part?
- Which part did you enjoy the most?
- What are your biggest takeaways?
- If you’ve done this challenge before with another cloud, what differences did you notice?
When you’re done
When you finish all the steps of the project, post a link to your blog post and a link to your LinkedIn profile in the designated Discord channel. I will then be able to endorse you on LinkedIn for the skills you demonstrated in this project: Azure, CI/CD, and the programming language you select for your API.
You’ll also be entered to win some cool swag and get a special shoutout from the A Cloud Guru LinkedIn account after the challenge!
Most importantly, the #CloudGuruChallenge is FREE and available to everyone!
Be prepared to do some Googling, but if you're an ACG member, here are some resources that can help you get more comfortable with Azure Functions and Azure CosmosDB:
If you aren’t already an ACG member, we encourage you to sign up for a free account (no credit card required) to get started and explore a selection of free courses that are rotated each month.
You don't need to perform these additional steps to “declare victory” on the challenge, but they will help your project stand out and provide awesome additional learning.
- Use the Azure CLI: This might be one of your first projects with Azure, so I’ll give you a pass if you’re creating resources via the UI. However, this is a great opportunity to get familiar with the Azure CLI
- Infrastructure as code: The Azure CLI is great for creating resources on the fly and experimenting, but in a real-life production scenario, you’d want to define your infrastructure as code. Create an Azure Resource Manager template defining your backend infrastructure.
I know there are services that bundle up a lot of the features you have to put together here, for example Azure Static Web Apps sets up a static web site, with HTTPS, Azure Functions backend, and GitHub actions and custom domain support — and it does it all for you with a few clicks. But there’s a lot of value in piecing it all together on your own. Also, if you’ve done this in another cloud already, you’re getting some great exposure to another platform and that’s another great plus.
Get through this and not only will you have an awesome project to add to your resume to show hiring managers, you’ll also be able to explain the infrastructure in its entirety.
Much luck to you. Let’s go!
Get the skills needed for a better career.
Master modern tech skills, get certified, and level up your career. Whether you’re starting out or a seasoned pro, you can learn by doing and advance your career in cloud with ACG.