Choosing between Multidimensional and Tabular Models in SSAS
Microsoft’s SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) is considered to be one of the top online analytical processing (OLAP) technologies. This course compares the two major semantic data model types by SSAS and how to assess which one to use in practice.
What you'll learn
By implementing an OLAP solution using Microsoft technology, you have been confronted with two different model types for several years now. In this course, Choosing between Multidimensional and Tabular Models in SSAS, you’ll gain the ability to evaluate which model type fits better to your individual use case. First, you’ll explore the conceptional design differences. Next, you’ll discover the supported data sources and storage modes. Finally, you’ll learn how to implement business logic by using the model’s common as well as individual features together with analyzing the interaction with client applications. When you’re finished with this course, you’ll have the skills and knowledge to assess whether the Multidimensional or Tabular model will better perform under your given circumstances.
Table of contents
- Overview and Analyzing Supported Data Sources 2m
- Contrasting Different Storage Modes 3m
- Comprehension of Different Query Engines 3m
- Taking into Account Performance and Scalability 3m
- Demo: Creating an Example Multidimensional Model from Scratch 9m
- Demo: Creating an Example Tabular Model from Scratch 3m
- Demo: Writing and Analyzing Queries 1m
- Summary 1m