Design Patterns Overview
Design patterns help developers solve problems using proven approaches. They help teams discuss code using higher level concepts and terms. This course introduces you to design patterns and prepares you to start mastering patterns!
What you'll learn
Design patterns help developers and teams solve problems using proven approaches. Patterns also enable teams to discuss design decisions using a richer, more descriptive language.
In this course, Design Patterns Overview, you are introduced to the idea of patterns - how they're discovered, defined, and applied.
- First, you'll demonstrate a few useful patterns.
- Next, you'll discover how they can be combined and stacked to produce elegant, useful designs.
- Finally, you'll explore why you should spend time learning them.
Table of contents
- Introducing Design Patterns 1m
- Design Pattern Origins 2m
- Why Learn Design Patterns? 3m
- How Should We Learn Design Patterns? 4m
- What Makes up a Design Pattern? 3m
- Design Pattern Structure 2m
- When Should We Apply Design Patterns? 2m
- Demo: Practice with Patterns 14m
- A Few Good Design Patterns 3m
- Key Takeaways 2m
Design patterns help developers avoid reinventing the wheel. Many of the problems you'll face in your career have been solved before and we can learn to recognize them and address them efficiently.
Most senior developers, and certainly every architect, should be familiar with the concept of design patterns and should know at least a few of them well enough to implement them without assistance.
By the end of this course, you'll understand what design patterns are, how they're discovered and defined, and, most importantly, how and when to apply them in your software.