Drawing and Painting Clouds for Digital Illustration
By using the methods and techniques in this tutorial, you'll be able to digitally illustrate and push the creativity of your own clouds. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
What you'll learn
By using the methods and techniques in this tutorial, you'll be able to digitally illustrate and push the creativity of your own clouds. We'll begin by examining an image of the type of clouds that we want to draw our inspiration from followed drawing the outlines of our own cloud formation. Following this we'll roughly block in a base mid-tone, shadows, and highlights for our cloud. From here we'll demonstrate a how we can blend our blocked in colors to establish the various formations of our cloud. Along the way we'll explore pushing our highlights and shadows, painting smaller formations for added detail, softening up cloud formation edges and weaving our cloud into the atmosphere. Furthermore, we'll learn how we can add additional colors to reflect some warm sunlight using some blend modes.Finally, we'll finish our cloud formation by using a natural bristle brush combined with the smudge tool to add natural looking wisps to our clouds. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
Table of contents
- Outlining Our Clouds 10m
- Blocking in a Mid-tone, Shadows, and Highlights 13m
- Blending and Building the Formations of Our Clouds 15m
- Continuing to Blend and Build Form 13m
- Pushing Overall Shadows and Highlights 11m
- Painting Smaller Cloud Formations 10m
- Softening Cloud Edges and Adjusting Atmosphere 8m
- Adding Additional Colors for Sunlight 9m
- Adding Wisps to Our Clouds 11m
- Final Touches 13m