Manage Functions in Couchbase 6
This course explores the management of an eventing function in Couchbase throughout its life - from debugging during development to disabling them temporarily, monitoring their state and porting them to other environments.
What you'll learn
The Couchbase eventing service allows us to respond to changes made to data through the medium of eventing functions. Like any application, these functions need to be developed and then maintained until they have served their purpose.
This course, Manage Functions in Couchbase, explores the various phases and transitions in a function’s lifecycle, the use of the debugger during its development, and porting them between environments using the export and import features.
- First, you will learn how to create a simple eventing function, which processes mutations in a source bucket.
- You will then invoke a variety of transitions on the function, and look at how this affects the ability of the function to process events, performing these operations using the Couchbase UI, and how these can be done programmatically using the Couchbase CLI and the REST API.
- You will then move on to monitoring functions using both the application logs, which are unique to each function and the system log maintained by the Couchbase eventing service. There are also labs on using the built-in Couchbase debugger to get to the heart of issues in the function code.
- Finally, you will explore the use of the export/import feature for eventing functions which allow us to port them from one environment to another and to record their history in a version control system.
Table of contents
- The Function Lifecycle 8m
- Demo: Writing to a Target Bucket 8m
- Demo: Transitioning Functions from the UI 8m
- Demo: Transitioning Functions with the CLI 8m
- Demo: Transitioning Functions with the REST API 6m
- Function Logs and Stats 2m
- Demo: Monitoring the Function Logs 7m
- Demo: Viewing Eventing Service Statistics 7m
- Developing and Debugging Couchbase Functions 8m
- Demo: Creating a Function with a Bug 5m
- Demo: Debugging by Stepping In 7m
- Demo: Debugging with Breakpoints 6m
- Demo: Watching Expressions and Stepping over Functions 5m
- Exporting a Couchbase Function 2m
- Demo: Exporting a Function from the UI 2m
- Demo: Importing a Function from the UI 4m
- Demo: Exporting and Importing a Function with the CLI 3m
- Demo: Deleting Functions 5m