Microsoft Endpoint Manager: Windows Updates and Servicing with MECM and Intune
Explore the surprising number of approaches MECM supports for deploying updates to Windows devices and the very simple, but less granular, alternative in Microsoft Intune in this course.
What you'll learn
Most organizations have a very different relationship today with Microsoft updates than did they in the past. The move to cumulative updates and the wholesale shift in thinking away from individual patch installations has greatly decreased the bookkeeping efforts in keeping machines up-to-date. But some use cases in some environments still need discrete update control, which is why exactly those abilities still exist in endpoint manager today. Exploring the surprising number of update deployment approaches available in MECM and Intune is the topic of this course.
In this fourteenth course out of sixteen, Microsoft Endpoint Manager: Windows Updates and Servicing with MECM and Intune, you'll begin with a look at the history of patch and update management on Windows devices, and how that history informs why so many options exist for update deployment. Next, you'll prepare your MECM environment's Software Update Point and WSUS services for synchronizing and deploying update packages. Then, you'll explore the various approaches available in MECM for getting updates on machines. Finally, you'll peek at the new -- and far simpler, but far less granular -- Windows servicing approach using Windows Update for Business policies and update rings in Microsoft Intune.
Table of contents
- Introduction 3m
- Understand Software Updates with MECM 1m
- Enable and Configure a Software Update Point 1m
- Configure Products and Synchronize 7m
- Configure Software Update Point Properties 4m
- Configure Client Settings for Software Updates 2m
- Configure 3rd Party Update Catalogs 4m
- Deploy the MECM Client via Software Updates 3m
- Introduction 4m
- Explore Downloaded Updates 3m
- Create Software Update Groups and Deployment Packages 7m
- Configure Automatic Deployment Rules 6m
- Monitor for Update Compliance 2m
- Configure Orchestration Groups 3m
- Configure Servicing Plans 2m
- Configure Windows Update for Business Policies 2m
- Deploy Microsoft 365 Updates 1m