SQL Server: Understanding and Using DBCC Commands
This course will teach you which DBCC commands to use to enhance your production environment in SQL Server. You'll see demos of how to use DBCC commands, along with replacement Dynamic Management Objects, as well as scenarios for when to use them.
What you'll learn
There are many DBCC commands available to database administrators and developers. Some are for the greater good; others can wreak havoc in a production environment.
In this course, SQL Server: Understanding and Using DBCC Commands, you'll explore DBCC commands that are useful and relevant, whether you're a DBA or a developer (this course is for SQL Server 2005 and up).
What you will learn in this SQL Server course:
- First, you'll cover the most basic commands and the informational commands--when to use them and how, in order to minimize impact on the solution.
- Next, you'll learn about the maintenance commands and how to recognize when a DBCC command has been superceded by a Dynamic Management Object, along with examples of how to use them.
- Finally, you'll learn about undocumented DBCC commands and go through scenarios on when to use them.
Table of contents
- Introduction 1m
- DBCC SQLPERF 3m
- Demo: Using DBCC SQLPERF 7m
- DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS 2m
- Demo: Using DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS 6m
- DBCC USEROPTIONS 2m
- Additional Commands and DBCC OPENTRAN 2m
- DBCC INPUTBUFFER and DBCC OUTPUTBUFFER 1m
- DBCC PROCCACHE and DBCC SHOWCONTIG 2m
- Demo: Using DMOs Instead of DBCC 9m
- Takeaways and Module Summary 2m
- Introduction and DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS 3m
- DBCC FREEPROCCACHE 2m
- DBCC FREESYSTEMCACHE and FREESESSIONCACHE 2m
- DBCC FLUSHPROCINDB 1m
- Demo: Commands to Clear Buffer Pool and Procedure Cache 10m
- DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and DBCC SHRINKFILE 3m
- Demo: Effects of SHRINK Commands 8m
- DBCC UPDATEUSAGE and DBCC CLEANTABLE 3m
- Deprecated Commands, Takeaways, and Module Summary 3m