Unlocking the Power of the Roto Brush Tool in After Effects
In this series of lessons, we'll be learning how to use the Roto Brush Tool. Software required: After Effects CC 22.214.171.124.
What you'll learn
In this series of lessons, we'll be learning how to use the Roto Brush Tool. A lot of people try to use the Roto Brush Tool without knowing how it works. They jump in, start painting one frame after the other and depending on their patience level, they soon give up. This is because there are a few ground rules for using this tool, and if you don't know them, your matte will not turn out well. If you understand the ground rules, then you don't need to be a certified "Roto Brush Tool Expert" to use it. This tool is meant to speed up your workflow. With that being said, this training doesn't use footage examples that are unrealistically easy to roto. So after we get a basic understanding of this tool, we are going to have some hard lessons with uncooperative footage that will help you learn the real challenges of using this tool; as well as, some of the perfect places to use it and how to trick your footage into looking just as you envisioned, with a combination of techniques. This training is for you if you've never used the Roto Brush before and you're ready to learn. It's also for you if you've tried it, had trouble, and want to learn how to make it work the right way. Software required: After Effects CC 126.96.36.199.
Table of contents
- Should I Use the Roto Brush Tool with My Footage? 7m
- Getting Started Using the Roto Brush: The Do's and Don'ts 8m
- Making Corrective Strokes 9m
- Using the Refine Edge Tool and Using Different View Modes 7m
- Roto Brush Propagation and Matte Settings 12m
- Refine Edge Matte Settings 7m
- Motion Blurring and Decontaminating Edge Colors 7m
- Caching and Locking Roto Brush Progress 6m
- What to Do When Edges Are Swimming 12m
- Combining Multiple Mattes 10m
- Using a Mask with a Roto Brushed Layer 10m