NAB 2015: Blackmagic Design Confirms the URSA Mini
**Updated on 04/13** Yesterday we were only speculating. Today, it's official. In what could be one of the most exciting announcements coming out of NAB this year, Blackmagic just announced the URSA Mini along with a range of other product updates. Check out our interview with Tina Eckman from Blackmagic Design on their updates:
Blackmagic URSA MiniYesterday we saw the banner above and anticipated an announcement from Blackmagic Design. Today, we have more details from Blackmagic's press conference at NAB. According to Blackmagic: "[The Blackmagic URSA Mini is a] compact lightweight and portable digital film camera available with EF and PL lens mount, up to Super 35 sensor and 15 stops of dynamic range. Features 12G-SDI, bright 5" fold out touchscreen monitor, dual CFast records and more!"
Blackmagic URSA Mini Key Features
- Four models with the choice of two sensors, 4.6K or 4K sensor in EF or PL mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular software, such as CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Support for CinemaDNG 4.6K RAW files and ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 5 inch foldout 1080 HD touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Optional URSA Mini Shoulder Kit, allowing both tripod and shoulder use interchangeably.
- Built in gyroscope allowing recording of camera pitch, roll and yaw movements when working in RAW.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
Additional Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K Model Features
- Selectable global and rolling shutter sensor.
- Wide 15 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Supports up to 60 fps 4.6K resolution capture in RAW.
- Built in GPS for location tagging of recorded files for easy media management when editing.