Designing a Two Color T-Shirt in Illustrator
In this series of lessons, we'll focus on creating a design for a two-color t-shirt. Software required: Illustrator CS5.
What you'll learn
In this series of lessons, we'll focus on creating a design for a two-color t-shirt. To begin this course, we'll talk through a possible concept for the design and then setup our file so we can begin building the artwork. Next, we'll examine each step in constructing an illustrative component for our design including starting with an initial shape, adding various details, and then applying both shadows and highlights. After completing our illustration, we'll add type and then examine one method for integrating the different components of our design using a texture. Throughout this process, we'll be using a variety of drawing and painting tools inside Illustrator as well as the pathfinder panel and custom brush strokes. After completing this course, you will have a better understanding of the techniques used to build vector t-shirt artwork as well as some considerations that must be accounted for when designing a t-shirt with a limited amount of colors. Software required: Illustrator CS5.
Table of contents
- Setting up Our Document and Project Specifications 10m
- Drawing the Base Shape of the Heart Illustration 13m
- Drawing in Portions of Tissue for the Heart Illustration 10m
- Creating a Thick White Stroke Around Our Heart Illustration 9m
- Drawing in Shadows Using the Pen Tool 11m
- Drawing in Shadows Using the Blob Brush 12m
- Drawing in the Veins for Our Heart Illustration 10m
- Adding Highlights to the Heart Illustration 11m
- Adding Type to Our Design 10m
- Creating a Background Texture to Unify Our Design Elements 11m