Creating Rapid Character Concepts in SketchBook Pro
When it comes to generating rapid ideas for character concepts, many artists either get lost in the abundance of tools or end up spending more time than they should on a single concept. Software required: SketchBook Pro 6.1.
What you'll learn
When it comes to generating rapid ideas for character concepts, many artists either get lost in the abundance of tools or end up spending more time than they should on a single concept. With SketchBook Pro's simple intuitive interface, we can quickly create just the artwork we need to get an idea across for a character. In this tutorial, we will start by dropping in a some quick background values and then quickly move into creating a silhouette for our concept. From here we will begin to explore the possible shapes within that silhouette and then focus on discovering their forms and depth by adding some additional value. Next, we'll dive into color for our character and learn about a variety of brushes inside SketchBook Pro that can help us to achieve the look we desire. We'll wrap this tutorial up by adding a little bit of final polish and detail to our concept. After completing this training, you will have learned how to create quick character concepts inside of SketchBook Pro that can then be used as reference for a 3D model. Software required: SketchBook Pro 6.1.
Table of contents
- Painting a Quick Background for Our Character 8m
- Sketching Silhouettes with Symmetry 10m
- Finding Shapes Inside Our Silhouette 10m
- Reinforcing Depth Within Our Silhouette 10m
- Adding Color to the Background 8m
- Beginning to Add Color to Our Character 11m
- Adding a Secondary Color Scheme 11m
- Adding a Tertiary Color Scheme or Accent Color 9m
- Adding Polish and Details 12m