Transforming Robot Production Pipeline Volume 1: Concept and Design
In this tutorial, we will learn about the process of creating concept art for a transforming robot within a production pipeline. Software required: Photoshop CS5.
What you'll learn
In this tutorial, we will learn about the process of creating concept art for a transforming robot within a production pipeline. To get started, you should know that this course will focus on providing you with a high-level glimpse at my thought process in designing our robot. While we won't focus on painting every brush stroke, I will be walking you through each step, demonstrating techniques as well as providing insight into the process. First, we'll jump in and knock out some quick silhouette options to establish our robot's form and pose. After spending some time roughing in possible details for our silhouette, we will begin refining forms in grayscale. We will then learn about the coloring process for this project from base color all the way through finishing details. We'll wrap things up by learning about some final steps that are taken before handing our artwork to the next artist in the pipeline. After completing this course, you'll not only know how the concept art was painted, but you'll also understand the design decisions that were made leading up to our finished concept. Software required: Photoshop CS5.
Table of contents
- Project Details and Getting Started with Silhouettes 11m
- Roughing in Details and Narrowing Down Silhouettes 11m
- Pulling out Detail Using Grayscale Values 12m
- Revising the Design and Mirroring Details 14m
- Beginning to Add Color to Our Robot Design 12m
- Adding the Robot's Other Arm and Refining Details 15m
- Adding Finishing Touches to Our Concept 16m
- Final Thoughts and Handing Off Artwork 8m