- A Cloud Guru
Implementing and Working with Backups and Restores in DynamoDB
In this lab, we will explore utilizing on-demand and point-in-time recovery backups for DynamoDB tables. Additionally, we will create scheduled backups using Lambda. A DynamoDB table has been provided with a small amount of data to facilitate creating and restoring DynamoDB backups.
Table of Contents
Enable Point-in-Time Recovery Backups, Create Manual Backup, and Start Restore of Manual Backup
- Log in to the AWS Management Console with the provided credentials.
- Navigate to DynamoDB.
- Select the
- Click the Backups tab.
- In the Point-in-time Recovery section, click Enable.
- Click Enable.
- To create a manual backup of the
PetInventorytable, click Create Backup.
- Once the backup is available, select it and click Restore backup.
Create a Lambda Function to Perform Scheduled Backups
- Navigate to Lambda and create a Lambda function that creates a backup of the table(s) specified in the function.
- Create a CloudWatch events trigger for the function that triggers the function every 10 minutes.
Verify Lambda Function Operation and Successful Table Restore
- Return to the DynamoDB console to verify backups are being created correctly by your function.
- Verify the table created from your manual backup has restored successfully. (This may take some time.)
What's a lab?
Hands-on Labs are real environments created by industry experts to help you learn. These environments help you gain knowledge and experience, practice without compromising your system, test without risk, destroy without fear, and let you learn from your mistakes. Hands-on Labs: practice your skills before delivering in the real world.