Creating and Animating a Matte Painting in Photoshop and After Effects
In this training, we will go over the process of creating and animating our very own matte painting.
What you'll learn
In this training, we will go over the process of creating and animating our very own matte painting in Photoshop.
In the first section of this tutorial, you will go through the process of creating a realistic matte painting for film and high end animation.
Then, we will take our creation into After Effects to add camera movements and animation.
These step-by-step lessons will start by covering the basics of how to prepare your matte painting in Photoshop, whilst covering subjects such as digital painting, lighting, scale, values, and perspective along the way.
Table of contents
- Thumbnail Studies in Photoshop 15m
- Refining Thumbnail Selection for the Matte Painting 8m
- Extracting Clouds and Sky from Photos 8m
- Extracting Cliffs and Leaves from Photos 11m
- Combining the Extracted Photos into the Matte Painting 10m
- Blending Grass into the Scene 11m
- Adding Sky and a Temple into the Scene 13m
- Painting a Waterfall in the Scene 10m
- Color Correction and Lighting for Matte Painting 9m
- Building Shadows and Light Values 10m
- Introducing Scale into the Matte Painting 6m
- Converting the Matte Painting into an Animation 10m
- Using the Animation Camera in After Effects 6m
- Implementing Video Files for the Animation 6m