Capturing the Human Form Through Figure Drawing
In this tutorial, we'll learn how you can start, or add new techniques to create detailed human-figure drawings. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
What you'll learn
In this tutorial, we'll learn how you can start, or add new techniques to create detailed human-figure drawings. We'll begin this process by introducing a photo of the model we'll be drawing from and learn how we can establish the overall pose with basic lines of action. Following this we'll explore capturing the model's form through different gesture drawing exercises. From here we'll break down one of our gesture drawings into a series of simple shapes to create an armature to draw our contour lines around and refine the form's shape and proportion. Following this we'll begin to map the prominent shadows and add volume to the form by building up our values. Finally, we'll spend some time blending values and refining the overall form of our figure drawing. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
Table of contents
- Discovering Lines of Action 9m
- Capturing the Form Through Gesture Drawing 6m
- Visualizing the Figure Three Dimensionally with Wrap Around Line Gestures 7m
- Visualizing Weight and Mass Through Gesture Drawing 8m
- Breaking Down the Figure into Shapes 14m
- Sketching Contour Lines Over Our Posed Shapes 11m
- Mapping the Shadows 9m
- Building up the Figure with Core Shadow Shading 11m
- Blocking in Mid-tone Values and Highlights on Our Figure 12m
- Blending Values and Refining the Form 11m
- Continuing to Blend Values and Refine the Form 13m