Databricks Data Science and Engineering: Basic Tools and Infrastructure
This course will teach you how to make the best use of Databricks assets such as notebooks, clusters, and repos to simplify the development and management of your big data applications.
What you'll learn
Building robust and high-performing big data applications requires a well-configured environment. On the Databricks platform, this means setting up various assets such as clusters, notebooks, and repos in order to get the most out of the platform and make development and analysis work as smooth as possible.
In this course, Databricks Data Science and Engineering: Basic Tools and Infrastructure, you'll explore exactly how this can be accomplished.
First, you'll begin by creating and then making use of clusters, tables, files, and notebooks, and explore how all of these can be combined in order to build and run a simple application.
Next, you'll move on to the use of Databricks repos, which allow us to record changes to notebooks and related files in a workspace, and can be linked with an external Git repository. Then, you'll delve into how this linking can be performed, and explore how file additions, modifications, and removals can be performed and viewed on repos.
Finally, you'll move on to jobs which represent the execution of a task on Databricks - how job executions can be configured and scheduled, and how notifications at various stages of a job can be sent.
When you're finished with this course, you'll have skills and knowledge of Databricks resources such as clusters, notebooks, repos, and jobs, as well as their configurations, which will help you create a Databricks environment that is optimized for building and running applications and can help you get the most out of your data.
Table of contents
- Course Prerequisites and Outline 2m
- Databricks Workspaces 5m
- Managing Workspace Assets 4m
- Demo: Provisioning a Databricks Workspace 2m
- Demo: Setting up an All-purpose Cluster 6m
- Demo: Defining a Delta Table 8m
- Demo: Creating a Notebook 6m
- Demo: Loading from a Delta Table into a Spark DataFrame 3m
- Demo: Installing a Python Module on a Cluster 6m
- Notebooks and Repos 2m
- Demo: Exploring Features in Databricks Notebooks 3m
- Demo: Creating Local and Remote Repositories 4m
- Demo: Linking a Databricks Repo with a Remote Repo 3m
- Demo: Committing and Pushing Code to a Repo 5m
- Demo: Pulling Changes from a Remote Repo 4m
- Demo: Deleting a Notebook 2m
- Demo: Creating a Dashboard 4m
- Demo: Adding Visuals to a Dashboard 3m
- Demo: Scheduling a Notebook 8m