Kotlin brings modern idioms to the Java platform and reduces the amount of code needed to develop software. This course will teach you all the aspects of the Kotlin language.
What you'll learn
Kotlin is a new language for writing applications on the JVM. Kotlin was developed by JetBrains, the company that created IntelliJ Idea and Resharper, amongst other tools. Kotlin has recently been adopted by Gradle as the language in which their build DSL will be written. Kotlin is a more modern version of Java. It adopts functional ideas such as immutability and first-class functions, out of the box, and it is also object oriented. In this course, Kotlin Fundamentals, you'll get an in depth look at using Kotlin applications with no prior Kotlin knowledge needed. First, you'll discover how to use Kotlin for functional programming. Next, you'll explore the reification of generic types. Then, you'll get a better understanding of immutability and null checks in Kotlin. Finally, you'll wrap up the course with learning how to use higher order functions. By the end of this course, you'll know the syntax and features of Kotlin.
Table of contents
- Module Introduction 2m
- Using Kotlin Without Creating Any Class Definitions 6m
- Kotlin's Support for Immutability 4m
- String Templates in Kotlin 2m
- Using 'if' as an Expression 3m
- How Kotlin Improves the Handling of Null Values 4m
- The 'When' Statement in Kotlin 2m
- Using 'try' Kotlin 2m
- Kotlin's Looping Constructs 5m
- Kotlin's Support for Exceptions 1m
- Module Summary 1m