Mastering TCP Analysis with Wireshark
A deep level understanding of the transport control protocol is critical for any network engineer in solving network and application performance problems. This hands on course will help you heighten your expertise of TCP.
What you'll learn
The network is slow! People still say it. In this course, Mastering TCP Analysis with Wireshark, you will gain the ability to quickly identify and isolate network problems, whether TCP is the root cause or not. First, you will learn how TCP recovers from a lossy network. Next, you will discover how the often-confusing TCP congestion control mechanism works. Finally, you will explore how to visualize TCP flows to quickly hone in on problem spots. When you are finished with this course, you will have the skills and knowledge of TCP needed to isolate and resolve network and application performance issues.
Table of contents
- What Is TCP Congestion Control? 3m
- TCP Receive Window vs. Congestion Window 4m
- Congestion Control Algorithms 4m
- TCP Slow Start, Congestion Avoidance, and Fast Recovery 3m
- The Congestion Window and Throughput - NewReno and Cubic 4m
- The Congestion Detection Mechanism 2m
- Measuring TCP Bytes in Flight in Wireshark 3m
- Exercise: Hands on with the TCP Congestion Window 14m
- Exercise: Congestion Control in Low Latency Networks 7m
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), is a bridge between the network and the application traffic that traverses it. With a thorough understanding of TCP, engineers can quickly pinpoint and resolve issues that plague performance, rather than guessing at a solution and hoping for the best.
Wireshark is a free network traffic analyzer tool that network adminstrators and engineers can use to troubleshoot and analyze network and security problems.
This Wireshark course will help you learn how to quickly identify network problems. You wil learn major topics such as;
- TCP SACK and packet loss recovery
- Congestion control algorithms
- And graphing TCP streams in Wireshark.
This is an advanced level course that expects users to have an understanding of TCP and an intermediate level understanding of TCP analysis with Wireshark.