Optimizing SQL Server Statistics and Indexes
How should indexes be maintained? Do columnstore indexes need maintenance? What should I do about statistics? All those questions and more are answered in this course. See how to maintain your indexes to keep your database running smoothly.
What you'll learn
Index maintenance is a complex topic, and one that's crucial for a well-performing database. In this course, Optimizing SQL Server Statistics and Indexes, you will learn foundational knowledge on how to keep your database and indexes well-maintained. First, you will explore missing and unused indexes, looking at how the indexes used by the system change over time. Next, you will discover why indexes, rowstore, and columnstore need maintenance and how to best perform that maintenance. Finally, you will learn how to perform statistics maintenance, allowing you to ensure that the Query Optimizer gets the information it needs to generate good execution plans. When you are finished with this course, you will have the skills and knowledge of index maintenance needed to keep your database running smoothly.
Table of contents
- Why Do You Have Missing Indexes? 4m
- The Missing Index DMVs 4m
- Demo: Identifying Missing Indexes via the DMVs 4m
- Database Tuning Advisor 6m
- Demo: Database Tuning Advisor 11m
- Summary of Missing Indexes 1m
- Identfying Unused Indexes 4m
- Demo: Using the Index Usage DMV 4m
- Identifying Redundant Indexes 2m
- Demo: Redundant Indexes 4m
- Summary 1m