Creating a Realistic Candle Flame in Maya
In this series of tutorials, we will be learning the process of understanding and simulating a candle flame with the help of Maya fluids.
What you'll learn
In this series of tutorials, we will be learning the process of understanding and simulating a candle flame with the help of Maya fluids. We will be studying in detail the burning of candle flames. We will look at technical theories and discuss the flame's nature as well as its chemical process. We will learn how to blend such principles to CG art and bring the flame out of the wick with the help of Maya fluids. This course will teach the various technical specifications of fluids and how each and every tweak of the settings can be useful to convert the flame simulation into a realistic behavior. We will advance further into understanding the technical attributes of fluids including density, temperature, dissipation, diffusion, and velocity swirl, just to name a few. We will also look at how to bend the flame and have it react to interaction. The end result will take you to the next level of creativity and production workflow understandings.
Table of contents
- Chemistry of Candle Flames 10m
- Scene Setup and Simulation Settings 10m
- Changing Fluid Settings for Behavior and Visibility 9m
- Adjusting Flame Settings for Shading, Look, and Feel 9m
- A Look at Forces Affecting the Movement of Fluids 16m
- Studying External Forces Using Live Reference 8m
- Examining External Forces with Motion Fields 22m
- Preparing the Final Render 8m