Resurrecting Extinct Creatures in Photoshop
In this Photoshop tutorial, we'll create a woolly mammoth using digital painting techniques and photo manipulation. Software required: Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 .
What you'll learn
In this Photoshop tutorial, we'll create a woolly mammoth using digital painting techniques and photo manipulation. These lessons will focus on the process of transforming an image of a real animal to create the illusion of a prehistoric creature by applying textures combined with painting. We'll begin by preparing the main image of an elephant by masking and cloning out any unwanted visual information. Next we'll use Liquefy to reshape portions of the elephant to feel closer to the proportions of a mammoth. From here we'll spend some lessons on blocking in hair textures, shadows, and painting additional hair to establish the woolly mammoth's furry coat onto the image of the elephant. Following this, we'll see how we can create the tusks for the mammoth by applying some textures and painting. Finally, we'll apply some last details to wrap up our project. By the end of this Photoshop training, you'll be able to find success with your own photo manipulation projects involving hair textures. Software required: Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 .
Table of contents
- Preparing the Image 11m
- Reshaping Proportions 11m
- Blocking in Hair Texture for the Torso 13m
- Blocking in Hair Textures for the Legs 10m
- Blocking in Hair Textures for the Head 11m
- Blocking in Shadows to Help Build Form 9m
- Painting Hair to Blend Mammoth Textures 13m
- Continuing to Painting Hair on the Mammoth 13m
- Creating the Mammoth Tusks 14m
- Reshaping the Tusk with Puppet Warp 7m
- Final Details 11m