Customizable Characters in Unity
In this series of Unity tutorials, we will create the basic functionality of instantiating armor as well as different materials for character customization. Software required: Unity 3.5.
What you'll learn
In this series of Unity tutorials, we will create the basic functionality of instantiating armor as well as different materials for character customization. We'll start off by learning how to instantiate our character meshes into our scene. After that we'll dive into creating a basic interface using Unity's OnGUI function to help test how our characters and armor switch out. Then we'll push our character customization system even further by learning how to assign different materials to give our character a different appearance. We'll finally wrap it all up by optimizing our code to be more user-friendly. Software required: Unity 3.5.
Table of contents
- Setting up the Scene 11m
- Instantiating the Character Mesh 10m
- Creating the Character Switch Interface 15m
- Setting up the Armor Nodes 7m
- Instantiating the Armor 15m
- Fixing the Armor Instantiation Issues 8m
- Reinforcing the Armor Instantiation Concepts 10m
- Modifying the Interface 16m
- Switching Materials 11m
- Creating the ChangeMeshMaterial Function 17m
- Finalizing the Scripts 10m