Shape Based Character Design in Photoshop
In this series of lessons we will focus on how we can draw simple shapes to establish a strong and effective character design. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
What you'll learn
In this series of lessons we will focus on how we can draw simple shapes to establish a strong and effective character design. We'll begin this process by learning how we can use different types of shapes to block in an overall structure for our character's pose. We will discuss how choosing the appropriate types of shapes are important depending on the type of character you are going for. From there, we'll sketch the character's form over our shapes followed by applying additional facial and body details and learn how they can be applied based on the shapes that make up our character. As we'll see using shapes to block out different aspects of a character design can prove incredibly useful. After watching this course, you'll be able to use this shape based approach successfully on your own character designs. Software required: Photoshop CS6.
Table of contents
- Blocking in Our Pose Using Simple Shapes 10m
- Sketching Form Over Our Shapes 8m
- Sketching the Facial Features 10m
- Sketching Details for the Rest of the Pose 11m
- Blocking out a New Pose for Our Character Using Shapes 8m
- Sketching Form Over the Shapes of Our New Pose 8m
- Sketching the Features for Our New Pose 11m
- Breaking Down a New Shape Based Character Design 4m