Unity Mobile Game Development: Character and Weapon Modeling
In this series of tutorials, we will talk about the steps that we went through in order to build the character and weapon models for our Unity mobile game project. Software required: Maya 2012, ZBrush 4, Photoshop CS5, TopoGun 1.06, Mudbox 2012.
What you'll learn
In this series of tutorials, we will talk about the steps that we went through in order to build the character and weapon models for our Unity mobile game project. We will start by referencing our game document, which will be our guide through the process of creating our Unity game. We will concentrate on creating game topology for our two characters and two weapon models. We will also cover map generation and texture painting as part of the process. In the end we will have models ready to be rigged and animated or plugged directly into the game engine. We will use a variety of software packages from Maya, to TopoGun, to ZBrush and Mudbox in order to prepare our assets so there will be a lot of back and forth. This course references some pre-made assets and covers methods for modifying and prepping those assets for this particular game. In most of these cases, if you'd like to learn to build these assets from start to finish, there is a tutorial that will fill your need. For instance, in this course we look at the steps we went through to modify the biker character from 'Creating High Resolution Characters in ZBrush 4' and 'Creating Game Characters with Maya 2011 and ZBrush 4.' So if you'd like to build the character from scratch, those two courses will take you through the process. Software required: Maya 2012, ZBrush 4, Photoshop CS5, TopoGun 1.06, Mudbox 2012.
Table of contents
- Examining the Assault Rifle Model 5m
- Creating a Texture for the Assault Rifle 10m
- Modeling the High-resolution Shotgun 8m
- Building Game-ready Geometry for the Shotgun 11m
- Painting the Shotgun Texture 9m
- Exporting the Tick Geometry and Maps from Mudbox 8m
- Creating Game-ready Geometry for the Tick 11m
- Modifying the High-resolution Player Model 10m
- Building Game-ready Geometry for the Player 8m
- Finishing the Player Texture in Photoshop 11m
- Scaling and Preparing Models 6m