Using Photoshop to Alter the Lighting of an Image
In this collection of lessons we will be focusing on creating a mood by drastically changing the lighting of an image. Software required: Photoshop CS5.
What you'll learn
In this collection of lessons we will be focusing on creating a mood by drastically changing the lighting of an image. We will get started by learning how to remove some unwanted information from our image using the spot healing brush. From there we will begin the process of converting our daytime image into a night time image. During this process we make some major color corrections as well as completely replace the sky in our scene. Some of the techniques we will learn include creating a difficult mask, sharpening an image, and creating highlights where there previously were none. We will wrap things up by learning how to create some atmospheric elements for our scene in the form of low lying fog and rays of moonlight. As we will see, there are a lot of considerations when drastically changing the lighting for an image. Through this series of lessons we will address each of these challenges and present solutions to them for this specific image. Software required: Photoshop CS5.
Table of contents
- Removing Unwanted Elements from Our Image 7m
- Color Correcting Our Image to Change It from Day to Night 8m
- Masking out the Sky and Background 13m
- Cleaning up and Refining Our Mask 11m
- Adding a New Sky and Additional Color Corrections 6m
- Sharpening Our Image 7m
- Painting in Highlights on the Trees 10m
- Creating Mist for Our Scene 12m
- Making the Mist Look More Organic 9m
- Creating Rays of Moonlight 14m